News & Updates

Triptych Restored

May 2017

Recently restored paintings depicting two Sisters of Divine Providence who had early influence on the congregation will soon find a place of prominence again at St. Anne Province Center in Melbourne.  Years of candle smoke and exposure to dust which darkened and stained the paintings were removed recently by Wiebold Studio in Cincinnati.  Originally mounted in Sacred Heart Chapel of St. Anne Convent, the panels were part of a triptych painted in 1930 by Carl Zimmerman of the Cincinnati Art Academy in imitation of medieval liturgical art to harmonize with the architectural design of the entire chapel.  The triptych was front and center above the main altar, but blocking a portion of the beautiful stained glass Jesse window.  It was removed in the 1990’s after a renovation of the chapel which allowed the window to be exposed; and the entire triptych was mounted in the lobby of St. Anne Convent.  Since the chapel was named in honor of the Sacred Heart, the middle panel depicted the Sacred Heart with His hand raised in blessing.  The paintings on the side panels represented the two main exterior works of the Congregation at that time—the education of children and the care of the sick.  The two side panels bearing the resemblance of Mother Anna Houlne and Mother Maria Houlne were removed when the triptych was placed again in Sacred Heart Chapel of St. Anne Retreat Center.  The panels of the sisters will be framed by Woellner Enterprises, Antique & Fine Furniture Restoration of Cincinnati.



View news list >



Congregation of Divine Providence 5300 St. Anne Drive Melbourne, Kentucky 41059 T: 859-441-0679 F: 859-441-1510 Email: info@cdpkentucky.org
2017 © Copyright Congregation of Divine Providence. St. Anne Province Center, Melbourne, Ky. All rights reserved.