In 1889 Mt. St. Martin’s, named for John Martin Moye, became the first Provincial House of the CDP’s in the USA. This building was in Newport and was known as the Taylor mansion.
A decision was made to build an Academy in Newport in 1901. After it was completed in 1903 it temporarily became the Provincial headquarters.
A few years later it was seen that there was a need to have a new Provincial house, and the search for a new site began. In 1908 the Young Farm was bought as the new site – it consisted of 77 acres including a red brick farm house which was christened St. Anne’s. The house consisted of a large meeting room, a chapel, a kitchen and dining area on the first floor, and four bedrooms on the 2nd floor.
As sisters and ministries continued to expand a larger building soon was needed. Bishop Ferdinand Brossart laid the cornerstone for a new St. Anne’s in 1917.
The building was finished two years later and on November 10, 1919 sisters traveled to and from Mt St Martin’s to the new St. Anne’s in freezing rain. They brought their belongings with them and helped prepare the building for the next day’s blessing by Bishop Brossart.
On November 11, 1919 Bishop Brossart blessed the rooms on the ground and first floors. Some of the rooms blessed on the ground floor were the chapel (which was called the recreation room and recently renovated as a chapel), and the dining room – which was called the refectory. Blessed on the second floor was a large meeting room which is still called the assembly hall, and the lobby.
In 1920 the barns and stables which had been very near the main building of St. Anne’s were moved to a more remote area down a short road facing Four Mile Road.
The driveway up to the convent was completed in 1921.